Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Girls Weekend


Ben was gone all weekend.  He was only in Denver for 3 days but I treated Saturday like I had to keep the kids' mind off him, as if he'd be gone much longer.
We went to the gym, straight to a haircut for both girls (Avery chopped her hair off), over to lunch, hurried to the movies, directly over to the Living Planet Aquarium and then spent 30 minutes in a parking lot while Avery had a huge meltdown.
Yup, I did it.  I over did it.  Why do I do this? Why?  I purposely pack in tons of stuff and then just end up frying their tired little brains and I fry what's left of my patience.
She and I had a showdown and I absolutely had to win. 
I wouldn't move the car until her seatbelt was on.  She wouldn't put her seatbelt on until I started driving. I spent the whole time trying not to let her see me laughing while Téa screamed from the back, "Will someone please do something so that I can go home!!!"
I actually started to worry that we might spend the night right there.  Believe me, we would have.  But after almost a half an hour of window-shaking screams and pleads through sobs, I won.  
How sad is it that I feel so triumphant over out-waiting a 4-year-old.  But I do.  

9 comments:

Jessarella said...

I'm so proud of you putting your foot down. Stubbornness at it's best. xoxo

Anonymous said...

BRIAR!!! Hello my beautiful friend! It's Jen (Wright) Jones! I saw your link form Josie's which I got from Amy's!! I am in LOVE with your girls! They are so gorgeous!! I need to get your email- mine is jenjones1028@hotmail.com. Write when you can! So good to see you and your family! Love ya!
Jen

Lewis News said...

I know those battles...I have them DAILY with my boys. I know that triumphant feeling! I hope Ben get's some time with the girls, and you get a well deserved break!

Sarah said...

Briar, you are beautiful, seriously, you look hot in this photo.

Katie said...

i support you. you totally can't cave on something like that because come on, you know once you give them an inch, they take a mile. if you moved the car then avery might say, "well, i'll buckle up once you're on the freeway going 80!"

lori said...

You go girl! I just cant beleive you did this while you are pregnant!! I run 2 errands and i am done! You do look very pretty in this picture. But thats because you ARE pretty..duh...

Nelson said...

This is such a great picture of you!
I am so proud of you for holding out, and winning!
Winner, winnner, winner!!!

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with us? I do the exact same thing and get the exact same results. You're nicer than me though, I usually try to pack too many errands into one outing. I'll go grocery shopping, to the post office, return something at a store, hit Super Target, etc.... and the kids go nuts. I still remember well the time I tried to run 6 errands in the same morning. Yeah, not so much. Wait until you add a screaming baby into the mix. (I'm sorry, okay? I had to do it. We can commiserate together when you have 3 too).

LC

mrs. timberlake said...

Wow... I get to be the NINTH comment. Apparently this was a relatable post for many. And I second or third the fact that it's an ADORable picture of our Briar.