Monday, February 23, 2009

Gwen





This is my sweet niece Gwen. She was hit by a car Friday afternoon in Huntington Beach. 
My sister Amy left that morning to meet a friend for lunch with her girls; the next time she came home was 2 days later with her 2-year-old now in the ICU. 
The miracle is that her CAT Scan and MRI show no signs of trauma to her brain or spine.  She was truly being watched over.  We couldn't be more relieved, but everyone's emotions have been on a roller coaster, switching from the devastation of her injuries to gratitude for her life. 
She has sustained 5 broken ribs, a broken arm in 2 places, road rash so severe she is being treated by the Burn Unit and a collapsed lung.  She is healing but after 4 days on the breathing machine, her little lungs are still too weak to breathe on their own.   
The literal fragility of life was shown to me when Ben and I visited Gwen yesterday. To see her lying there on a breathing machine when just 3 days earlier she was running down the pier with my girls.   
Please remember to kiss all of your "Loves" tonight and please say a prayer for Little Gwen.  

For updates, you can go to Amy's blog.

6 comments:

Roz said...

There is nothing more heart wrenching than seeing a sick/injured child. Sweet little Gwen is in our prayers.

cort said...

That makes me want to throw up! I couldn't handle that. Send my best wishes to your sisters family.
ugggh.

mrs. timberlake said...

Briar, with two little lambs about to turn two.... and with finding inspiration through Amy's blog on how to be a little more graceful with life's every day routine - to say my heart aches is an understatement. Little Gwen is in our thoughts and prayers.

khepworth said...

So sad. From reading your sister's blog, Gwen sounds like the sweetest little girl. Hoping for the best.

K&KH

Anonymous said...

Briar,

Your sister and little Gwen are in my prayers.

Love ya~!
Sandy

Nelson said...

I am so sorry. You are all in our prayers.